Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Deceptively Delicious

My kids don't like vegetables at all and I've been feeling really guilty lately about not feeding them more healthy foods.  My mom gave me that book by Jessica Seinfeld like two years ago and I tried a few of the recipes.  The Oatmeal cookies with zucchini and banana and the Brownies with spinach and carrots were really good. (Hmm, I only tried the dessert recipes.) It was a good cookbook, but I kinda forgot about it. 

But now I've got my motivation back and I'm gonna sneak all kinds of veggies into these boys. Yesterday we made Kale Smoothies which were pretty good.  Here's the recipe:
  • 1 frozen banana
  • 1/2 cup  yogurt--any flavor
  • 2 cups coarsely chopped kale leaves (be sure to wash and remove the stems)
  • dash of vanilla
  • any frozen or fresh berries
  • milk, if needed
Toss all ingredients into your blender and blend until smooth.  Try it!  Thanks Emily Allred for the recipe.



Tomorrow I'm adding pureed cauliflower to Mac's scrambled eggs. Then I think I'll try the Quesadillas with butternut squash puree.  Yum.  Both of those recipes are here.

2 comments:

emilyaaa said...

awesome! i'm glad the kale smoothies were a hit. i've since learned that blending JUST the yogurt and the kale for like 5 minutes REALLY helps the texture and flavor. and bananas are a MUST and mangoes aren't that great in it...we've had our fair share of kale smoothies here, can you tell :)

I like that book. I have it, too....and i TOO have only used the Spinach brownies recipe...but i like the idea of using that book more :)

Melanie said...

i need this cook book for my hubbie who hates veggies. and i love them, don't eat them often enough.